Read Write Inc/Phonics
At Harris Free School Peckham, we want our children to become confident speakers, readers and writers. We want them to develop a passion for learning and we are determined that every child acquires the skills and knowledge for success in Literacy.
We follow the Read Write Inc phonics scheme which helps all children learn to read fluently and at speed so they can focuson developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling.
How is phonics taught?
Letter-sound correspondence is taught through a highly structured synthetic phonic approach. In Reception, Year 1 and Year 2, children have daily phonic sessions that support them to recognise letters, understand the sound they make and blend these sounds together to create words. Sessions are taught in small groups by skilled phonics teachers where reading and spelling strategies are taught, modelled and repeated. Children read staged books with strongly patterned language and picture cues.
Alongside these sessions, children learn to instantly recognise the most common words in the English language. These are known as ‘high frequency words’ or ‘tricky words’. Children must learn these from memory.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
- develop comprehension skills in stories by answering 'Find It' and 'Prove It' discussion questions
- learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
- learn to build sentences by practising sentences out loud before they write.
The Read, Write Inc scheme sees the children progress through sets. We assess the children regularly and provide interventions for children who need extra support.
|Phonics||03rd Jul 2020||Download|
|Phonics At Home||03rd Jul 2020||Download|
|Reading at home||29th Apr 2020||Download|
|Recommended Reading for Reception||03rd Jul 2020||Download|
|Recommended Reading for Year 1||03rd Jul 2020||Download|
|Recommended Reading for Year 2||03rd Jul 2020||Download|
|Questions to ask when Reading||03rd Jul 2020||Download|